I find it's really easy to just coast along and not be very proactive. You'd think that at 60, I'd have learned how to do this, but I'm apparently a VERY slow learner.
Another Thanksgiving, another Christmas come and gone.
I met my dad for the first time in 50 years or so. We had a nice chat for a couple of hours, and now he's gone again. Don't know if he'll be back or not. Apparently, he was a great dad to his second family...
It seems to me that life is kind of like a train going downhill with no brakes. The further it goes, the faster it goes, until at the end, if we're not careful, the last few years race by before we know it and we're done. I don't mean for this to be a downer. I believe that there are certain times in our lives when we need to stop, take stock of where we are and make determinations about where we are hoping to go. The reason I say "hoping" instead of "are going" is because I recognize the sovereignty of God and sometimes our lives don't turn out exactly as we plan.
That said, we still need to take a look as far down the road as far as we can see and decide which direction we'd like to go. Maybe I'm thinking about this because I just turned 60 or maybe because it's the beginning of 2010. I suddenly find myself thinking about all of the things I've dreamed of doing in my life and realizing that I need to weed out what's really important and do it as opposed to sitting around and thinking, "Well, I guess I'll never get to do that!"
So, what is important in your life? What are you doing to make sure that the dreams you still have are becoming reality? Share this journey with me...
I promise to post at least a couple of times a week. There--I've said it in black-and-white, so I'd better stick to it.
Some of my dreams...I've always wanted to own a horse. I need to learn how to ride one first, but that's on my list.
Also, I'd like to be closer to a full time artist. My art, like so many things in my life, is often done on a whim, without much discipline or forethought.
I want to get my dog, Lucy, certified as a therapy dog so that I can take her to places where seeing and interacting with a dog makes people feel better and raises their spirits. Of course, to accomplish this, I first have to teach her not to take off at a dead run every time she sees a cat. At 75 pounds, she can pretty much go anywhere she likes.I'd like to be around long enough to see my great grandchildren. That, of course, is in God's hands, but I can take more steps to be healthy and strong in my body and mind.
No comments:
Post a Comment