So, on Friday we went to see Robin Hood. I love period films and Russell Crowe is not too shabby either, so I really enjoyed it even though it wasn't exactly what I was expecting...
However, it got me to thinkin'
One of the central themes of the film is freedom: The ability of a person to govern himself without being controlled by a central government (in this case, the evil Prince/King John). This is a subject that really resonates in me. I told Rick as we walked out of the theater, "It's no wonder I'm so passionate about freedom--it goes back centuries--it's in my DNA." In fact, I've spent the last few days pondering why it's so close to my heart.
A big reason is probably the oldest child syndrome (don't want ANYBODY telling me what to do). Also, I'm one of those awful Americans that think I'm "entitled"...only in my case, I believe that I'm entitled to freedom. I treasure the fact that I was blessed to be born in this country where freedom is a given.
I really value my freedom--in fact, it's probably third on my list of things that I would die for--right after my faith and my family. If an enemy showed up here and tried to take it from me, I would take to the streets to defend it. (Now I know you're picking yourself up off the floor after imaging that, but hear me out).
The thing is, I believe that there is more danger right now from forces within our country and I don't mean hidden terrorist wanna-be's. There are rights that we are guaranteed by our Constitution and some of them are teetering on the edge. One would be the freedom of speech. While I may not agree with what a lot of people say, I would fight for their freedom to say it and my freedom to disagree with it. Neither of us has to shut up. The freedom to openly practice my religion is another one I treasure...the ability to live where I want and being able to work as hard as I can to be as successful as I care to be.
These freedoms are being threatened by ever-increasing "political correctness" guidelines; the mindset that says it's not "fair" for some people to be more successful than others; people who believe in entitlements for those who don't work or are here illegally.
So, my question for myself is: How do I fight against this kind of takeover of my freedom? Abraham Lincoln said, "America will hever be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
I have to be sure that I remain alert and stand firm for our God-given freedoms and recognize the efforts to undermine them from any source. I can't battle this in the streets, it has to be battled in the ballot box, by responsible education, by rejecting the premises of those who want to change our liberties.
I know I'm sounding like a radical, but...God Bless America!
Monday, May 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment