Saturday, April 12, 2008

I Love Lucy...




Okay,so I'm a sucker for dogs. My husband finally gave in to my pleas and we got a dog in January. The first picture is "Lucy" at 6 weeks with one of my granddaughters. The second picture is Lucy now at 4 months. We went to the vet today and learned that she weighs 34 lbs. She's gained 14 pounds in the last 4 weeks! I wish she'd gotten them from me, but I guess it doesn't work that way even though I've been getting a lot more exercise since we got her. Only some of it has been from actually walking her. The rest has been from chasing her around the house attempting to remove various items from her mouth or grappling her into a submissive posture when she is trying to get part of me in her mouth.
I have to admit, there are times when I'm not sure what I've gotten myself into. Lucy is a lab/shepherd mix, and when she's being sweet, she's adorable, but when she's in a mood to be obnoxious, it's a whole other story. Like the morning I decided to leave her downstairs for a few minutes unattended and went down to discover that she had reached into Rick's briefcase and removed his glasses and chewed them to smitherenes. I took them to Lenscrafters and was told by a mildly amused technician there that they actually see a lot of glasses that puppies have gotten hold of...I was also told that I could not replace those glasses because the prescription was just over two years old...

Or the other morning when she grabbed my black bra off of the bed and hightailed under the dining room table with it...

However, I can see that she really has a heart of gold. I was talking to a friend about getting her and he said "Everyone should have someone who loves them unconditionally..."

Which brings me to my point...there is nothing quite like a dog's devotion to its master. Even in the midst of a frenzy of activity and unruliness, this pup is trying to gain my approval and attention. When she gets older, I have no doubt that she would give her life to protect me if it was required. I have to wonder if there's anyone in my life whose love and approval I want that much.

Am I willing to plunge wholeheartedly into my activities, holding nothing back as I serve my Heavenly Master?

Am I willing to appear foolish and risk discipline as I learn and grow?

Who's the leader of my pack?









No comments: