Wednesday, March 31, 2010

How Does He Do It?

So, I've been drawing for the last few days.  You'd think that I'd have turned out several pictures by now, but, no...it's all been the same one.  I've started it over 4 times.  Now, I'll grant you that I learn a little more each time I start over, but still, I'd much rather do a masterpiece in one continuous celebration of creativity...

No such luck.  Either I started out with the shading too dark, or I messed up on the nose, or--tonight I couldn't get the eyes on the face to be the same size!  Probably, if I weren't such a perfectionist, I'd be able to let these things go and the drawings would be fine, but, alas...it is not to be.  Part of the issue is that pen-and-ink drawings are very unforgiving.  Once you set off to do a drawing, you'd better get it right, because there's no such thing as erasing.  Sometimes I can scrape off a tiny part of the drawing or cover it with--dare I say it?--white-out!  But, for the most part, if you don't get it right, you just have to start over.

Which makes me think about God...I know I talk a lot about being God's masterpiece, but look at us!  Is there one of us that has two eyes that are exactly the same size?  Legs the same length?  Teeth that are perfectly lined up (sans braces)?  And that's just our physical attributes.  Imagine how our spirits must appear from time to time...missing this limb or that; a big hole taken out over here; a huge gash right down the right side.  Yet, He says we are acceptable and perfect in His sight.

It's a good thing He doesn't scrap us and start over every time we mess up. 

Back to the drawing board.

No comments: