Well, it sure seems lately that I'm being reminded over and over about how fragile life is and how none of us should ever take for granted that we have years ahead of us and can put off things we know we should be doing based on that premise. I have to admit, I'm so guilty of doing this. "I'll start my diet seriously tomorrow"..."I'll take the time to train my dog tomorrow"..."I don't have to call my friend today--there's always tomorrow"...
And then, a friend who's younger than I am goes to bed one night and suffers a major heart attack and is now in long term rehab with a future "normal" that probably doesn't look anything like where she thought her life would be...another friend (one I haven't seen for 45 years) who used to be my best friend in high school, died of cancer...and yet another friend suffered a "Major" stroke over the weekend and the doctors are telling his family that they need a miracle.
I sure don't intend this to be a "downer" of a post, but I think to myself, "What is it going to take for you to take seriously the idea that you have no guarantee that tomorrow is going to be like today?" I just toodle along my merry way, letting time slip through my fingers like I expect God to let me live to be 95...
Is being serious about the gift of life such a tough thing? I go through my life acting as though I'm immortal. Now, I understand, and believe with all of my heart that I will live forever with God after I leave this earth...but I surely don't believe that that give me a license to take this physical life here so lightly.
I guess all I'm trying to say is that it's more and more my urgent prayer that God will help me live my life with:
purpose, not procrastination,
discipline, not distraction,
love, not isolation,
passion for Christ, not passivity
I really don't want to be hit in the side of the head one more time before I get the point.
Lord, mold me into what you want me to be. Don't let me take another day for granted, but help me to be aware of where you place me and the relationships you've given me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I HOPE I REMEMBER MY PASSWORD.
YOUR THOUGHTS ARE WELL PRESENTED. WHEN WE ARE YOUNG, OR YOUNGER, LIFE DOES LOOK SAFELY LONG, STRETCHING AHEAD. THAT'S OK. WE CAN'T SURVIVE LOOKING OVER OUR SHOULDERS. I DON'T MEAN THAT IS WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND I ESPECIALLY LIKED YOUR CLOSING WORDS OF DETERMINATION TO USE YOUR TIME AS A GIFT.
Post a Comment